Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wrestling Camp - Day 2

Day 2 is finally over. What a day. We had three instruction sessions as well as three team matches for our two teams. The sessions included takedowns, front headlock series and legs. The legs instructor is a former ASU wrestler who wrestled back when Scott and I started coming up to camp. He’s now a coach somewhere in high school. He’s been here every summer we’ve come up to camp (9 years now). He loves to punish people with his legs series. It’s fun to watch and he teaches some pretty good stuff. The second session of the day is one of my favorites, Cary HS coach Jerry Winterton but I couldn’t enjoy it much because of me and Bob’s lunch experience. We went to Mellow Mushroom and each got a calzone (which if you’ve ever had one there you know how big it is) and then we split a Greek salad which was awesome. We walked out of there about 7 pounds heavier. We were dazed and confused and didn’t get much out of Jerry’s session but it was basically the exact same thing as last year and we took good notes last year on his takedown session. The last session was the best because Bob and I were finally back to normal (we skipped dinner) and could move around and work with our kids again and drill a little with each other the front headlock series. I picked up a few things that I really liked that we can use this coming season. That’s a big reason I like coming to camp, learning new technique that I can take back to my wrestling room and teach right away. Now, I have to be honest, Bob and I didn’t exactly skip dinner altogether; we ate at Subway around 10 pm after our last team match…and then we walked about a mile to the TCBY. Then we hiked back about 2.5 miles to our dorm. The freshman team was 3-0 today and the upperclassmen team was 0-3 but we’re giving up 7 points each time which is an equivalent of 3-4 matches here at camp (3 pts for pin and 2 pts for a win). We’ve lost by 12, 5 and 1 pt today so technically we’re 2-1 without those FFT pts given to the other team. We continue to tell the guys that it’s not about wins and losses at camp. Their camp record will not be remembered by anyone but themselves. Camp is all about learning and trying new technique. Man I love camp!

0 comments: