Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Oh! How I Love Jesus.

When I was growing up in a small congregation in Zelienople, Pennsylvania I would sing some wonderful songs to my Lord. I sang traditional hymns and "camp" songs. We would sing some great songs that had deep theology. We would sing about the risen savior and his overcoming the grave. We would sing about walking and talking our God. We sang "Jesus loves me" every once in a while with all the adults. We sang about the old rugged cross and laying our trophies down for a crown. Great thoughts and lyrics that were biblically based.

I think about the wonderful songs we sang and it dwindles in comparison to hearing your three-year old sing "Oh! How I love Jesus, Oh! How I love Jesus, Oh! How I love Jesus, because He first loved me." I'm not sure about the correct punctuation in our song books but for my daughter it's all about Oh! She screams it like nothing else. She sings it like she's a gospel singer, not a little three-year old in the back seat of a family sedan on the way to the house after playing at her Grandma and Papa's house.

What joy it must bring our Father in heaven when we teach our children to love the Lord. When we bring them up knowing that there is a God out there that created the heavens and Earth and He loves them. He loves them enough to give up His own son for our sake. He gave His son as a propitiation for our sins. What a wonderful God we serve. And if you don't believe me just ask Macy what she thinks about Jesus, she'll yell it in your ear. Praise God.

0 comments: