Sunday, March 20, 2005

Mistaken

Have you ever been mistaken for someone else? My sister-in-law has talked to my back several times because she thought I was my brother, which in fact I'm not, but we do look somewhat alike. I always wonder what it would be like to have a twin. I know some siblings can look alike, but when you're over 5 years apart you can look a little different.

I've known two sets of twins well in my lifetime. One is my brother-in-law Steve. I know him well, but I also knew his brother because of track. He's about 3 or 4 years older than me but we both threw the discus in high school. He was very funny. They are not identical, but they are very close. For a while it was hard for me to tell them apart, but after 15 years, I've got it down. The other set of twins are the Chupp boys. They graduated from GACS not too long ago. I knew them both from youth group. We met on Wednesday nights in the teen center at church and I helped lead with Thom Jacquet. Actually what happened is we'd look at the lesson, scrap it, read come proverbs together and Thom would tell us a story from his life relating to one or two proverbs. It was a learning experience for everyone, me included. I loved it. Then on our first trip to Mexico for spring break we took Joe. It was great. He's such a great kid and will be a great leader in his family, in his job and in his church. The Chupps are identical, and I still can't tell them apart, and probably never will.

In this song Warren tells us that we need to be mistaken for Jesus. It's not hard for me to be mistaken for my brother Scott, I look like him. It is very difficult to look like Jesus. We have to act like him, talk like him, speak like him, and show mercy like him. It's even harder to seek the truth like him. Oh what a daunting task we have, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. We have the power of the Holy Spirit inside us that gives us a full measure of what we need, indeed our cup is overflowing.

0 comments: