I've gotten to spend these last few days with some friends from Harding up in Washington, D.C., our nations capitol. Erin, Macy and I have really enjoyed our vacation with Ryan, Elizabeth, Jason and Lyndsay.
Being in the nations capitol on Independence Day is very special. We went down last night after dark to see the monuments and it was incredible to see. Reading the words of Abraham Lincoln at his memorial, seeing the reflection of the Washington Monument in the Reflecting Pool in the moonlight, walking past all the names of those that gave their lives in the Vietnam War, seeing the statues at the Korean War Memorial, and walking around the fountains at the World War II Memorial were all very special. Being in town with all of its history and being here with Erin for her first time in the city has been memorable.
The best message I saw in Washington, "Freedom is not free." That was on the Korean War Memorial. Thank your President Bush, Congress, House of Representatives, Supreme Court, and our Armed Forces for all you do for our nation. Happy Independence Day!
On a side note, people who don't have kids don't understand that sleep must happen at night to survive. I'm knocking our friends, but we can't stay up until 4:30 AM and expect for Macy to just be quiet and play until we feel like rolling out of bed. As a parent you have to take responsibility for what you do, including getting sleep at night. It doesn't even appeal to me to stay up that late. Last night me and Ryan and Jason went down to the Potomac near the Lincoln Memorial after dropping the girls off at the house (on Capitol Hill) and stayed out until 3 AM. My wife is a blessed woman (but not just because she takes Macy downstairs so I can sleep longer, there are other reasons too). But, all in all, I don't have a desire to stay up that late ever again, seriously. I may stay up until 12:30 AM or 1 AM, but 4:30 AM? No, thanks!
Monday, July 04, 2005
Happy Independence Day America
Posted by Coach Harsh at 11:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment