I had the opportunity to attend one of the mega-churches here in Atlanta this morning in part because Erin and Macy are out of town still and in part because I just wanted to. I've only been to the church a handful of times so I got on their website last night to find directions and worship times. I browsed around for a bit and found out the sermon series I would hear was entitled "The Dream Giver" which sounded familiar but I was really looking forward to the preacher's sermon because he's a great preacher.
I made it on time to services but not before I had to hike from my car several hundred yards. Seriously, it must have taken me nearly five full minutes to get to the building and then I had to walk around to find a seat in the auditorium. After finding a seat the worship band kicked it off with some great contemporary tunes and then left the stage, and I realized that I was in the second auditorium where we watch the preacher; he's actually in another auditorium larger than the one I was in, which was huge. I got to hear Bruce Wilkinson preach this morning, instead of the regular minister, and it was a delight. You should know that name from The Prayer of Jabez and now The Dream Giver. He was great in person and is finishing his series next week, I hope to take Erin and Macy to hear him again.
It's not that I don't like large churches, several of my friends from Harding attend large community churches and just love them, as I'm sure I would too. Growing up in the Churches of Christ I have this draw towards a capella worship, but most of what I listen to in leisure is just like I worshiped with this morning at this church. I believe we have a better handle on instrumental worship, in my church at least, than we have had in the past. But walking in to a music-filled room with a rock band on stage was more than I expected. I know I've been there before, but it's still just so different than what I'm used to. As I sang the contemporary songs I realized that almost everything I listen to at home or in my car or with my kids at school is just like this band. It was awesome, once I got past myself.
Monday, July 11, 2005
Mega-Churches
Posted by Coach Harsh at 3:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment