Saturday, October 11, 2008

Catalyst Music


One of my favorite bands of the early 21st century was the San Diego Christian rockers Switchfoot. I say was not because I’ve fallen out of love with their music but they’ve just not be as hot on the record charts as they were back on Meant to Live. From the moment I saw them open up for legendary Christian artist Third Day in the fall of 1999 I knew they’d be big. They got as much applause as Third Day and nobody had ever heard of them. At Thursday’s Catalyst Conference Jon Foreman played several acoustic sessions including two new songs (to me) and a classic. Two of the songs were from his Seasons EP’s (Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall). He introduced the two songs by saying he wrote these songs after his wife prodded him to write some worship songs – which he said he has a difficult time writing songs for girls and songs for God. As soon as I got home I downloaded both songs: Show and Your Love is Strong. He called both songs “thieving” Christian songs he took most of the material from the Scriptures. Here are the lyrics to Your Love is Strong which are just spectacular:
Heavenly Father
You always amaze me
Let your kingdom come
In my world and in my life
You give me the food I need
To live through the day
And forgive me as I forgive
The people that wronged me
Lead me far from temptation
Deliver me from the evil one

I look out the window
The birds are composing
Not a note is out of tune
Or out of place
I walk to the meadow
And stare at the flowers
Better dressed than any girl
On her wedding day

So why should I worry?
Why do I freak out?
God knows what I need
You know what I need

Chorus (3x):
Your love is
Your love is
Your love is strong

The kingdom of the heavens
Is now advancing
Invade my heart
Invade this broken town
The kingdom of the heavens
Is buried treasure
Would you sell yourself
To buy the One you've found?

Two things You told me
That You are strong
And You love me
Yes, You love me

(Chorus 3x)

Our God in Heaven
Hallowed be
Thy name above all names
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven
Give us today our daily bread
Forgive us weary sinners
Keep us far from our vices
And deliver us from these prisons
The second song that I just love is Instead of a Show. Here are the very inspired lyrics to that song:

I hate all your show and pretense
the hypocrisy of your praise
the hypocrisy of your festivals
I hate all your show

Away with your noisy worship
Away with your noisy hymns
I stop up my ears when your
singing ‘em
I hate all your show

Chorus
Instead let there be a flood of justice
An endless procession of righteous living, living
Instead let there be a flood of justice
Instead of a show

your eyes are closed when you’re praying
you sing right along with the band
you shine up your shoes for services
but there’s blood on your hands

you turned your back on the homeless
and the ones that don’t fit in your plans
quit playing religion games
there’s blood on your hands

chorus

Ah! let’s argue this out
if your sins are blood red
let’s argue this out
you’ll be white as the clouds
let’s argue this out
quit fooling around

give love to the ones who can’t love at all
give hope to the ones who got no hope at all
stand up for the ones who can’t stand at all, all
I hate all your show

0 comments: