Saturday, August 14, 2004

Meant to Live

"We were meant to live for so much more."
That's a lyric from the phenomenon known as Switchfoot. The band started out in San Diego and continues to make that city its home. I heard about Switchfoot about 5 years ago when I went to see Third Day in concert near my home here in Atlanta. Third Day was, and still is, a great concert band. But Switchfoot really impressed me. Their first three albums had marginal success. Then they signed to Columbia Records and "BOOM!” one of my favorite John Madden phrases, they took off like a rocket. Every time I put it in my player it "feels like the first time." They are now, according to a Rolling Stone interview, a band that is made up of Christian musicians instead of a Christian band. That distinction has helped them in the secular markets enormously. That distinction has helped other bands lately also.

So what do I want to say about the song?
1. Do you believe the phrase?
2. Do you live the phrase?

I believe it, but I know if don't live it like I should. I get caught up with the everyday things in life. I buy into the "more is better" is better philosophy. The rich and famous make me jealous. The cars, the houses, the lifestyle appeal to me. I should rephrase that. They appeal to my sinful nature. But I am a new creation in Christ, the old has gone, the new has come. The hope is that we realize what we were meant for. We see the purpose in our lives. We see the Lord's will winning over our own.

If you haven't heard this song you've probably been in the backwoods on a 2 year retreat from civilization, or you're my dad and you can't stand rock 'n roll. Find yourself a copy of it and BUY IT!


0 comments: