I get to golf about as often as most people visit the dentist, twice a year. Today I got to go out with the coaches from my school for an end of the year scramble. We were 'randomly' placed on teams, which we thought would help us out, but in the end, it did not. Our 'captain' was our head football coach, who did not lead us to victory today. We were the worst team out there, by far. We ended up, after 18 holes, at a +6. That was four of us hitting the best ball each time. Every other team was either even or under several strokes. The winning team ended up -4. They weren't even that good. But we had a blast and our families met us back at school tonight for a great bbq dinner that our AD had catered from a local restaurant. It was great. Our booster club tries to make sure we are appreciated, and I feel like the time I spend in gyms at tournaments and at wrestling meets is worth it. The kids I get to be around and influence are so important to me, and I know that I am important to them.
Not bragging here; coaches are a big influence in today's culture where so many young men are growing up in homes without a male influence. Most of my kids have good homes, but they still need a strong male role model to look up to. And that's a big responsibility for me. Moving into the head coach's spot is a big deal. I never thought about how the guys look up to my brother until now. I have to take that on now, and I'm scared. (at least for now)
Anyways, I had fun golfing and I can't wait to do it again.
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Golf and Coaching
Posted by Coach Harsh at 8:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment