Thursday, May 19, 2005

Redemption Songs

Jars of Clay has been one of my favorites, but not for long. When they had their big hit "Flood" everyone was listening to them, except me. I didn't like to be a bandwagon person, so I refused to listen. But now, a decade later, I love their sound. It seems to get better every time. Like their new album Redemption Songs. They do a wonderful job on many old hymns that I used to sing back at the Zelienople Church of Christ. Nowadays I'd say church of Christ, instead of Church of Christ...anyways. We listened to the song "Nothing But the Blood", which they are accompanied by The Blind Boys of Alabama; I actually had someone ask me if they were really blind. Yes, yes they are. (Well, maybe not all of them, but I had just gone over some of their history when I was asked that question. Unbelievable.)

I asked my students what it meant. Most gave me good answers, which I love. Nothing can save us but His blood. Not going on mission trips, not feeding the hungry, not healing the sick, not visiting those in prison, not even sharing the Good News can get us there. (Matthew 25) It is by the blood of our Savior that pays our way into Heaven. We have faith, but His blood puts our names into the Book of Life. It's that whole balance of James 2. Faith must be accompanied by action. But action cannot get us there alone. Faith cannot get us there alone. It must be Faith-in-Action.

Thank you Jesus, for giving us your earthly body so we may have eternal ones that will live in the Kingdom of Heaven for eternity.

0 comments: