Saturday, June 04, 2005

Beach Rescue

I decided to take a walk on the beach today to get away from it all and just chill. I was having fun watching it all; the teenagers trying to act 'cool' and all the old men holding their bellies in and especially I was enjoying watching the little kids play in the surf. I have been pleaded with by Erin to find some time and money to go to a beach sometime this summer for all three of us, I don't understand why Lake Lanier isn't good enough for us...but whatever. I realize now how much fun Macy would have playing in the sand and surf. My mission now is to find a long weekend and a cheap place to stay.

Today, as I was thinking all this I saw a man and woman setting their gaze out to sea. They were just fixated on something. So I kept walking towards them and looking out to sea to see if there was something the matter. I heard a woman screaming for help. Lifeguards were present, but sparsely. This woman's family (a son and her husband) had been caught up in the current, which I can attest to, can be very strong. Without thinking I ran into the water and helped this young boy, maybe 12 or 13, and his dad back to shore along with another man who followed me into the water. About the time I finally found some good footing a lifeguard came out to see if he could help. We were already out of danger by that time, but I was tired.

As I think more about this, I'm amazed at how God works. It was just happenstance that I passed by that location when these two needed my help. I had thought about jogging instead of walking, since it's been a while since I last ran. I had asked Erin to join me, which would have meant we wouldn't have walked as far as I did. Many things could have prevented me from helping these two, even myself. Hey, I got a wife and a kid and another kid on the way. What if I get hurt? Who would rescue me? I'm not that good of a swimmer, and I'm out of shape for swimming. I'm sure someone else would have helped if I wasn't there, but God chose me.

As I walked back in my now wet swimsuit and wet t-shirt, I thought about some headlines I could have gotten: "Man Rescues Family" or "Coach Puts Others First" or "Father Gives Own Life." Weird. Instead, when I got to shore and handed him to his mother, I walked away. No 'thank you' or 'God bless you' did I seek or did I receive. I didn't do it for the satisfaction of doing it, I saw someone in need.

I also thought about Erin and Macy and our little 'Peanut', that's what I call child #2. What would or could have gone wrong and they'd be without me? Without financial support. Without a daddy and husband. Kind of makes me say a big old 'thank you' to God.

Thank You, Lord for saving me and that family from the sea. Help me to live unselfishly and wisely so I may take care of my girls. Forgive me of any selfish or proud thoughts I may have about helping others and this rescue. Thank You for rescuing me from a life of sin and an eternity without You.

0 comments: