Monday, June 20, 2005

Competition, NBA Finals and Philip

I found myself watching the NBA Finals last night through the end of regulation and overtime. I really enjoyed it, but ask me if I've seen a regular season game this year and you'd get a 'No! I can't stand the NBA!' But with the thought of win or be done for the season, in this case win and be champs, lose and get second place, I can't wait until game 6 tomorrow night. I don't have a favorite between San Antonio and Detroit, but I hope Detroit wins game 6 to force a game 7. Why? Competition is like a second skin for most men. We live for it.
Our sermon this week at my church was about competition (Fathers Day). Our preacher gave us a challenge, be more like Philip, one of the Seven from Acts 6 and Acts 21.

Acts 6
1In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Grecian Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. 2So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. 3Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them 4and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word."

5This proposal pleased the whole group. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit; also Philip, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas from Antioch, a convert to Judaism. 6They presented these men to the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.

7So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.


He was known as a servant and was chosen as one of the Seven to take care of the physical needs of those around the church.

Acts 21
8Leaving the next day, we reached Caesarea and stayed at the house of Philip the evangelist, one of the Seven. 9He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied.


Anyways, that's what we need more of, leaders and individuals who are willing to serve others, but not for their own glory, for the glory of Him. It not only will affect them, but their family and all those around them. Very cool.

0 comments: