Thursday, June 30, 2005

Gender Differences

I learned today that men, according to Eleanor Maccoby from Stanford, are predisposed to better spatial relationships. I would have to disagree, at least for me some of the time. Here are some reasons why I believe that spatial relationships are not my thing:

1. Sports - I never played baseball growing up, but I really enjoyed playing softball while at Harding. I was even lucky enough to be part of several 'A-team' championships in my day, and hit two homeruns in one of those games. I didn't start out so hot though. I began my college softball career in intramurals. I was assigned the outfield on my team during the fall of my freshman year. I'm not sure two balls were ever hit in my direction during my tenure in the outfield, but I'm sure that there was at least one. I heard the bat hitting the ball, I saw it come at me and I ran in to where I thought it would land. It was hit harder than I thought and I had to backpedal to catch it and as it came down I jumped and about did a backflip in my attempt. I ended up falling on my head and did not catch the ball. I knew that outfield was not for me. I ended up playing a lot of third base where it's all reaction. The ball comes so quick to you at third that you don't really have time to think about it (at least I never did).
My other story relating to softball comes from that same year when after I had joined my social club. I was trying out with all the other inductees and they had us shagging balls in the outfield and I caught it okay this time but when I attempted to throw it to another teammate I threw it over his head, over the fence, onto some railroad tracks. It was very embarrassing but it got me to the infield.

2. Video Games - I am awful at video games. Always have been. I especially suck at racing games, combat games, and sports games. What else is there? You can ask anyone who has ever played me, I can't win. I never really had video games growing up to practice on. We had a pong-type game, then I had this white handheld football game that I was really good at, then we moved to a Radio Shack computer (my favorite game on that system was Larry Bird V. Dr. J one-on-one), then I got a Playstation while in college, which is too late if you want to go pro in gaming.

3. Asking Directions - I know this is not spatial, but it could be I guess. I hate not knowing where I'm going, I get so anxious. I love planning ahead when it comes to going somewhere. I'll get my atlas out, go to AAA to get some more maps and use Mapquest as well.

0 comments: